While reading one of my books on Buddhism, I came across the Five Remembrances offered by Thich Naht Hahn:
1. I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.
2. I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.
3. I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.
4. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.
I realize that it's hard for any of us to be OK with the list. It's not what we want. We want to stay young, never get sick and certainly not to die. Even though we know that these things are inescapable, we want it to be different. However, I have found it to be very calming to repeat these remembrances to myself from time to time. I think it calms me because it's true and allowing that truth, allows me to quit fighting the reality of life.